Family relationships Family relationships

Arguments, separation, divorce, co-parenting, child contact

Family relationships

My ex is using childcare arrangements to control me

If you think your ex partner may be using childcare arrangements to control you, it’s important to get help.

How can I help my child adjust to a blended family?

Adjusting to a new family set-up is a time of change for everyone. It might take a while to build new routines.

Coping with not seeing my children after separation

Seeing less of your child after a separation can be a big adjustment. There are things that can help you feel better.

Helping my child adjust to separation or divorce

It can be hard for children to adjust to separation. You can help them feel supported and reassured.

How do I co-parent with my ex partner?

Co-parenting can be one of the biggest challenges for separated partners but it can also be a positive experience.

How to manage arguments with my partner

If you’re having lots of difficult conversations with your partner, you might need to think about how you manage these.

How can I support a child through kinship care?

Looking after a friend or relative’s child as a kinship carer can be a rewarding and challenging experience.

Supporting a child with a family member in prison

It can be upsetting for a child if someone they are close to is arrested or sent to prison.

Coming out as LGBTQ+ to your child

You will know best how to communicate with your child, but here are some things to consider when coming out to your child.

How can I have a good relationship with my child when I don’t live with them?

Keeping in regular contact and making the most of your time together can help build a good relationship.

My child doesn’t want to see me

If your child doesn’t live with you all the time, they might not always want to meet on arranged days.

Dealing with disagreements about parenting styles

Many parents have different ideas about how to parent their children, whether they are together or separated.

How can I support my partner’s children?

If your partner has children from a previous relationship, you can provide a supportive, loving home for the child.

How can I ask my partner to help more at home? 

When you feel like your partner isn’t doing their fair share, it can have a huge effect on you.

I’m worried my child isn’t safe with the other parent

If you have concerns about your child’s wellbeing, there are some steps you can take.

What can I do if my ex won’t stick to contact arrangements?

If your ex-partner isn’t following the rules you agreed for your childcare contact arrangements, you can get help.

I’m thinking of leaving my relationship

Leaving a relationship is never an easy choice, especially if you have a child. You can take steps to help your family cope.

What is a young carer and is my child one?

If you child has extra care responsibilities at home, supporting someone with physical or emotional needs, they may be a young carer.

Where will my child live if our relationship ends?

If your relationship has ended, you’ll need to decide on child arrangements including where your children will live.

Someone I live with is abusing me – what can I do?

If you are being abused by someone you live with, help is available from the police and other local services.

Dealing with feelings of anger in separation or divorce

It’s OK to feel angry. You can learn to process it in a healthy way for you and your family.

How do I make child arrangements when I split from my partner?

When you separate, try to agree on how you’ll manage childcare between you as soon as you can.

My child’s other parent is not giving me contact with my child

If your child’s other parent is not allowing normal contact arrangements, here are some tips.

My child is worried about seeing their other parent

When you’re separated, children can sometimes develop worries about seeing their other parent.

Tips for separated parents at Christmas

Christmas can be a challenging time for separated parents. If you can, work together to plan with your child in mind.