What happens after my child get an autism diagnosis?

Coming to terms with an autism diagnosis can be daunting sometimes. Autism might be very new to you and that can feel tough at times.

Try to remember that your child has not changed. The difference is that, now, you have the information you need. This can help you to understand your child and their needs better. It will help you to support your child and family.

autism diagnosis: a child playing in a puddle in the middle of a green field

Support for you and your child

  • Find out about what may be available to support you as a family. You could consider accessing a support group. The National Autistic Society run local groups for families.
  • You could also try the National Autistic Society’s Early Bird Course. This can help you to understand autism better. It can give you confidence in communicating with your child. It can also help you understand some of their behaviour.
  • Your child might want to meet other autistic children. You can find what’s available in your area on the Autism Services Directory.

Support for siblings

  • It’s important to make sure that any other children in the home also feel supported.
  • Spend time helping any other children in the house to understand what is happening. Spend one-on-one time with them to talk about it. Listen to them and ask them if they have any particular worries.
  • You could also involve older children in conversations supporting your autistic child.
  • For more support, contact Sibs. Sibs are an organisation that helps support the siblings of disabled people. https://www.sibs.org.uk/about-sibs/

School support

  • A diagnosis may help your child get the extra support they need at school. The school may understand better how to support your child once they have a diagnosis.
  • You can also include a diagnosis in an EHCP application or renewal.

Social care

  • If your child is considered to be ‘in need’, they should be eligible for Local Authority support.
  • This can be with or without a diagnosis.
  • Usually, you can get this by requesting a needs assessment. You may also be able to be assessed as a carer which will give you access to support.

Financial help

  • Depending on the needs of your child, you may be eligible for certain benefits.
  • This includes Carer’s Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.
Go back

What is an EHCP and an IEP, and how can my child get one?


Talk to us

Free and confidential live chat with parenting staff. Chat online or request a call back when it’s convenient for you.

Chat icon on mobile phone